2013年2月18日 星期一

God ‘said it wasn’t my time’

In the expanse of this Roxbury choirboy’s dark and yearning eyes, there is all the adult pain and wisdom of one who survived a gunshot wound to the stomach — a wound sustained five weeks ago on Humboldt Avenue while on his way to church to join his mother for choir practice.

“I look at stuff in different perspectives now,” Gabriel told me yesterday. “If I’m out somewhere I’ll be thinking someone is trying to do something to me — I get that feeling that somebody’s out to get me.

“I don’t want to feel that everywhere I go, that somebody’s out to get me,” he said, almost in a kind of whisper, “but I keep saying to myself that I can’t trust anybody anymore, even my friends. I can’t trust them.”

Veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan who see life in such terms are thought to have PTSD. But it’s painful to hear these words from a slender 13-year-old boy who used to love running track, playing pickup football, reading about amphibians and singing hymns such as “Go Tell It On The Mountain” at the Berea Seventh-day Adventist Church.

“Physically, he’s healed. Gabriel’s body is strong,” Shirley Clarke said of the youngest of her four children. “But the emotional part, the psychological part, the mental part, that’s the one thing that’s hardest to deal with now. That trauma is going to be with him for the rest of his life.

“Gabriel used to be real loving, real active, sometimes too active out there, riding his bike on Humboldt Ave. and to the park,Full custom bobbleheads dolls handmade and sculpted into your likeness.” she added. “I would allow him to go out because I trusted that when he said he was going someplace, he would be back.

“But now, that sense of trust is gone,” she said, “and I’m not sure when he’ll ever get it back.”

In truth, that sense of trust has been damaged in both mother and son.For this reason Plastic Mould steels are of key significance,Looking for the Best Air purifier? They live now in a kind of limbo, no longer at home but in a neutral location. Gabriel, who was a student at James Curley Middle School in Jamaica Plain until the Jan. 11 shooting, is now being kept up to speed by a tutor.

So far,We are one of the leading manufacturers of solar street lamps in China. no arrests have been made, and when his mother talks about “life settling back to a sense of normalcy,” Shirley Clarke uses the word “relocation.”

“I don’t want to leave Boston,” she said, “I love Boston. But I just don’t know. Maybe in desperation, I may move out. But I don’t want to.”

Most boys don’t rhapsodize about mortality the way Gabriel Clarke does. But then, not too many walk around with a bullet forever lodged in the small of their backs.

“I never felt so much pain in my life,” Gabriel said of the shooting. “I think if somebody didn’t come as quick as they did, I probably might have died.”

And yet, he’s able to see his near-death experience as “something that’ll make me stronger in all types of ways. It’ll bring me closer to God, because I really believe He said it wasn’t my time yet. He had a better future for me. I think He saved my life. He did.”

The cloak of suspicion that haunts Gabriel Clarke is also tempered by a blend of gratitude and humility. He’s been humbled by a flood of well wishes and cards from classmates, as well as kids from across the city he’s never met. “There’s a lot of kids out there who do care.”

And yes,Welcome to Find the right laser Engraver or Laser engraver machines. he’s grateful to be able to reflect back on his nightmare, one that has claimed the lives of too many other children.

Shirley Clarke spoke of fate and faith. Pregnant with Gabriel, she said she was urged by doctors to terminate the pregnancy for her own health. She refused. She recalled how he survived a car crash two years ago that doctors said could have killed him.

“Gabriel and I, we’ve seen children who’ve been shot and never made it,” Shirley said. “We have watched it and we have cried, because we realize how fortunate we are. And, yes, we are humbled. I keep reminding Gabriel that he has a higher purpose in this world. And God wants him to achieve it.”

Dressed in a black Obama T-shirt, black jeans and black high-top trainers, Mr Wiley describes some of the unique challenges of his Israel paintings. "How do you have a conversation about Israel without discussing Palestine?" He asks. "And who am I to have the conversation I'm trying to have?" He adds that his role as an outsider makes his job both easier and harder. "I can allow myself to be destabilised and find new histories."

As with his other World Stage paintings, these feature subjects Mr Wiley found through a method he calls "street casting": during his wanders around a new city he meets and talks to people—some strangers, some acquaintances—and invites some to model in his studio. Many of the portraits in this show are of Ethiopian Jews whose families immigrated to Israel in the 1980s and '90s during Israel-sponsored airlifts. Kalkidian Mashasda, an Ethiopian Jewish rapper from Tel Aviv, is in several portraits.

沒有留言:

張貼留言